Society for Media and Suitable Human Communication Techniques (SoMaSHTe) is a media and communication focused organization which works to raise the voices of the poor and marginalized, particularly of women and children, to promote positive impacts in their lives by building the capabilities of the people involved in the media. To foster sustainable development, SoMaSHTe promotes human rights, governance, gender and other social issues by engaging media and frontier communication initiatives. Following are the core areas on which SoMaSHTe focuses its interventions:
a) Capacity building:
- Develop and conduct skill development and issue-based training courses for journalists of print and electronic media.
- Develop and conduct training for government and non-government officials on media and communication.
- Develop and conduct training on human rights, gender, child rights, health rights, good governance, local government, environment, etc.
- Develop and conduct training on Right to Information (RTI) for media, government and non-government sectors.
- Develop and conduct training on presentation skill.
- Develop and conduct training on media, social and policy advocacy.
- Develop and conduct training of trainers (ToT).
- Conduct research on media, social communication and various social issues.
- Develop communication strategy.
c) Advocacy and media campaign:
- Prepare strategy and organize advocacy program including media campaign on social development issues.
d) Audio-visual production and content development:
- Research, scripting, direction and production of audio-visual materials including documentary films on various social and development issues.
- Develop print and electronic contents/IEC materials including newsletter, booklet, book, poster, leaflet, multi-media animation etc.
e) Media monitoring and documentation:
- Print and broadcast media monitoring and documentation on social and development issues.
Established in 2005, the not-for-profit organization has extensive experiences in developing and delivering training courses focusing on a wide range of issues including human rights, gender, governance etc. Over the years, SoMaSHTe developed and delivered several training courses to journalists and other professional groups. Among others, SoMaSHTe’s expertise also includes training need assessment, course design, module development, and training course conduction. SoMaSHTe also led the development and publication of a handbook on agricultural journalism which is now referred to as a text book for journalism students by some of the public and private universities.
The team-members of SoMaSHTe are well-reputed personalities in journalism and communication capacity building. They have wide experiences in designing and providing human rights training to the journalists. They were also involved in the developing books and manuals on journalism education including human rights, gender, feature writing, journalism techniques etc
SoMaSHTe is a registered Trustee under the Registration Act of 1908.
NAME OF THE TRUSTEES
Dr.Zahed M. Masud (Development Expert), Chairperson
Mir Shahidul Alam (Communication, Training, Advocacy and Development Expert), Vice Chairperson
Mir Masrur Zaman (Media, Communication, Training and Development Expert), Member Secretary
Md. Mahmudul Karim (Business Consultant), Treasurer
Dilruba Arfin (Social Worker), Member
Ms Shahnaz Sharmeen Rinvy (Journalist), Member
Mumita Tanjeela (Gender Specialist), Member
Professor Dr. Sakahwat Ali Khan, Supernumerary Professor, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka
Dr. Golam Rahman, Professor, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka
Monjurul Ahsan Bulbul, Editor in Chief & CEO, Boishakhi Television
Mumita Tanjeela, Gender Expert
Mir Masrur Zaman (CEO)
Mir Shahidul Alam (Programme)
Md. Rezaul Haque (Research and Communication)
Md. Mahbub Ullah, ICT Specialist, CEO, Geoplan Bangladesh.
Md. Zahid Newaz Khan, News Editor, Channel-I, Dhaka.
Nazrul Islam Mithu, Chief Reporter, The Daily Sun, Dhaka.
Sharmin Rinvi, News Editor, Bangla Vision, Dhaka.
Kazi Maruful Islam, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Development Studies, DU
CORE CONSULTANTS AND POOL OF RESOURCE PERSONS
M. Khairul Kabir, former Director General, Bangladesh Academy of Rural Development (BARD)
Ajoy Dasgupta, Associate Editor & Head of the Editorial Department, the Daily Samakal
Zahangir Alam, National Project Director, Agriculture Rural Radio Project and Firm Broadcasting Officer, Agriculture Information Service (AIS)
Reaz Ahmad, News Editor, the Daily Star
Shahanaz Munni, News Editor, ATN Bangla
A K M Rahmat Ali Howlader, Media Specialist, WSP- The World Bank, Dhaka Office
Dr. Abul Monsur Ahmed, Assistant. Professor, Department of Mass-Communication & Journalism, University of Dhaka
Fahmidul Haque, Assistant Professor, Department of Mass-communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka
Firoj Zaman Chowdhury, Assistant Editor, the Daily Prothom Alo, Dhaka.
Mahmud Menon Khan, Head of News, Banglanews24, Dhaka.
Amin Al Rsheed, Senior Reporter & News Presenter, ABC Radio, Dhaka
Mubarak Hossain, Development Expert
Babita Rani Das (Shuvra), Training Expert
T. M. Abdullah Al Shafi, Editor, newsNet, Dhaka
Sultan Ahmed, Joint News Editor, GTV