The idea behind this project was that the extent of journalism against violent extremism in Bangladesh has picked up in recent years, however, its level of maturity has not spread evenly throughout the media industry. Although most of media houses are currently making active efforts to cover event-based news, the quality and depth of their work vary great deal due to lack of adequate understanding on the issue.
There was no support book in the market that can assist practicing journalists to report adequately on violent extremism issues. Therefore, a suitable resource book can reduce the knowledge gap of both practicing and potential journalists regarding violent extremism related journalism. The resource book developed under the project provided tools and techniques based on best practices and explain how to identify and report newsworthy issues that actually make a difference in line with professional standard.
- Enhance journalists’ knowledge and skills on quality preventing violent extremism issue-based reporting through development and dissemination of a resource book.
- Increase the quality of news on extremism issues to promote peace and tolerance through media
- Secondary document study and outline the content.
- Consultation and depth interviews on content suggestion.
- Engage experts/writers to develop specific chapter.
- Finalize contents and organize validation workshop.
- Publish the resource book and organize publication ceremony.
- Organize roundtable on the role of media in preventing violent extremism.